4.17.2011

Red Curry with Basmati Rice

One way I absolutely love to relax and rewind is to cook a fantastic meal. I don't care how long it takes or what ingredients are required, as long as I have a glass of wine and can savor the fruits of my labor afterwards. It's how I can forget about all those annoying people at work and get into a normal state of mind. One of Andrew's recent string of complaints is about how long it always takes me to make dinner. A majority of the nights we don't end up eating until 8:30pm or 9:00pm because I always decide to make a grandiose dish after getting home from the gym. I'm a believer in eating healthy home cooked meals so I'm not trying to eat garbage every night just because "it's late". Plus, I just love to experiment in the kitchen with different combinations, spices and flavors and oh boy when that chicken comes out of the oven all tender, juicy and hot, it's soooo worth it! Our friends Ashley and Josh have a blog that has inspired me to post my newest favorite dish.

I was sitting on the Max one night, brainstorming about what kind of mess I wanted to make in the kitchen and Trader Joe appeared over the horizon right across the street from my stop. Like Gabriel to Mary, something told me that curry was on the menu for the night. I already had Basmati rice, chicken and potatoes at home so I only needed a few ingredients. I stopped in at TJ's and bought two bottles of Thai Red Curry Sauce, a bag of mushrooms, an onion, a bell pepper, some carrots and garlic which was all quite cheap. Here's what I did:


1-2 Uncooked Chicken Breasts
2 Cups Uncooked Basmati Rice
1 Peeled Potato
1 Onion
1 Bell Pepper
1-2 Carrots
8 oz Mushrooms
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
Olive Oil
2 Bottles of Thai Red Curry Sauce





In a large pot, add 4 cups of water and 2 cups of Basmati rice. Bring to a boil, stir then turn to low and let simmer for 15 minutes. 













Slice up the peeled potato into chunks and add to a medium sized pot. Cover the potatoes with water and set to boil on the stove. You have to keep a good eye on the potatoes because you don't want them to cook too much. Just enough to pierce with a fork but not mushy.











In a large frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat to medium-high. Slice up the chicken breast and onion into edible chunks and add to the pan once it has warmed up. Saute the chicken for about 5 minutes until the outer layer is just white. In the meantime, slice into chunks the mushrooms, bell pepper, carrots, and mince the garlic. Add the veggies, except the mushrooms, to the chicken and cook until the veggies are tender.










Once the potatoes are cooked (not mushy), drain them in a colander then add to the frying pan along with the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are tender.






Add the Thai Red Curry Sauce, cover with a lid and simmer for about 5-10 minutes until everything is thoroughly heated.  
Serve the curry over the Basmatic Rice and enjoy!! This recipe should be enough for leftovers, so you can savor the flavor over and over again. 




Pin It

1 comment:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!