1.07.2013

The Blessing Of He

Over the last few weeks, Andrew has said multiple times "I don't know what I would do without you". Every time he said this, I wasn't sure why because I hadn't done anything extraordinary. In fact I've been rather lazy over the last few weeks and he's been doing all the housework and some of the cooking while I come home and watch movies every night. He could have been referring to the whole pregnancy thing but even that has been a pretty easy job so far. My response to him? "I don't know what you would do without me either babe!" (followed by a devious little smile).

This past Friday I came down with a nasty chest cold and a god awful sore throat. I rarely get sick and being pregnant, this thing blew me out of the water. Andrew encouraged me to call the doctor and stay home after work so he could take care of me, hooray!!! Saturday morning rolled around and I felt like I had been hit by a bus. I canceled all my plans, stayed in my pj's and made the couch my new best friend. Andrew offered to get me some remedies at the store so I made him a specific list: Lemon Throat Coat tea, Lemon Ricola throat lozenges- 24 count -and the movie Brave. Cold medicine would have been on the top of the list but when you are pregnant nothing is truly safe for the baby so I stuck with regular old tylenol. At this point, I could barely speak without feeling like someone was rubbing sandpaper along my throat and guess how many phone calls I got that morning within a half hour? Four. Andrew called twice just to makes sure he was getting the right tea, very sweet of him of course but texting would have been a better option. First call, they didn't have it in the "natural section", ok... so go to the regular section. Second call, they didn't have it in the regular section, ok.. then get whatever. Then my mom calls and asks, "are you sick??" I want to say "No mom, I'm not. Totally faking it", but I don't because I love her and she is just concerned. Fourth call from Andrew again asking me what if they don't have Brave... I don't care just get me a damn cartoon. My voice is toast by now.

Andrew gets home with lemon ginger probiotic tea. Probiotic?? So in addition to a splitting headache and congested face, I'm going to spend all day on the toilet as well. Fantastic. Also, he gets the 19 count lozenges, not the 24 count so I instantly feel ripped off because I saw the 24 count just the other day and I know I will be needing those 5 extra. Oh well, at least now I can just chill and watch my movie. What would I do without him? Andrew decided to leave for the afternoon to go watch some sports crap but also do all the laundry, thank you!, and I am left alone with my sicky self.

Six hours later, the prodigal husband returns and I am starving!! I started beans and rice while he was gone and he sealed the deal with quesadillas and delicious toppings of avocado, onion, tomato and salsa. What would I do without him?? Not to mention, he washed our wonderful flannel sheets and made up the bed.

Sunday morning - I feel the exact same. Within a half hour of dragging myself out of bed, there is french toast on the table, a glass of OJ and a couple of delicious mandarins. An hour later, the dishes are done, the kitchen is clean, the bathroom is spotless, the Christmas tree is chopped up and out of the house, the floors are swept and mopped and the bed is made. Of course there is football on the boob tube so Andrew leaves for a friends house, but I'm looking around wondering, I can really just lay here all day and do nothing? Yep! so I did just that. On his way home, he went to the store again and after another flurry of painful phone calls, came home with some safe cold medicine and dinner. I passed out on the couch shortly after with Andrew at my feet making sure I was ok. When I decided to go to the real bed he followed me to once again make sure I would be ok. I tossed and turned all night after the medicine had worn off and woke up every hour between 12:30 and 4:30. I felt so bad for Andrew because I was probably waking him up as well but I didn't hear a single peep from him all night.

Now I know what he means when he says he doesn't know what he would do without me. I don't know what I would do without him! After three crappy sick days, I am realizing how amazing my husband is. The guy who has become the housemaid and the guy who forces me to buy a thermometer to make sure I don't have a fever. The guy who wouldn't let me leave the house and who keeps a hawks eye on everything I touch so he can sanitize it right after. The guy who would do anything to make me happy, whether I'm sick or not, and the guy who I married for all the right reasons. After almost four years together, I love him more and more every year (this particular song comes to mind, even though he hates sparkly vampires.. > Christina Perri's A Thousand Years)


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!